Superior Ink has made conscious decisions as a company to improve on our sustainable efforts every day. We are focused on sustainability, implementing eco-friendly practices, and building a community within the textile industry to become better together for future generations and our industry.
Sustainability is a major issue in the textile industry. Being sustainable in our industry is about much more than the use of organic cotton and better working conditions. It’s also about finding sustainable ways to consume water and energy, and discard chemicals.
What does sustainability mean?
Focusing on meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. The concept of sustainability is composed of three pillars: economic, environmental, and social—also known informally as profits, planet, and people.
What sustainability means to Superior Ink Printing:
Each and every day we try to demonstrate necessary practices to help take care of the environment. By undertaking unique environmental projects including using recycled content fabrics, switching to low-VOC inks, and replacing older presses with new, high-efficiency presses.
There are 3 big current sustainable issues within the textile industry:
- Water and energy consumption
- The availability of sustainable raw materials
- The effects of waste production
FACTS: These facts aren't meant to scare you, they are meant to inform and inspire you to help be a part of the change!
- It takes 2700 liters of water to create one cotton shirt, which is enough water for someone to drink for 2 1/2 years.
- 20% of water pollution comes from the textile industry.
- 200k tons of dye are lost to the sewage system every year.
- 23% of all chemicals produced worldwide are used for the textile industry.
- 70m oil barrels are used each year for the textile industry.
- Degraded soil will lead to a decrease of 30% in food production over the next 20-50 years if nothing changes.
- 70m trees are cut down annually to make clothing.
How is Superior Ink Printing making efforts to become more sustainable?
Since the beginning of Superior Ink Printing, it has been very important to us to be a sustainable company in every way possible.
One of our biggest accomplishments has been becoming a founding partner of the apparel brand Allmade in 2017. We co-founded Allmade to bridge the gap in sustainable blank garment options. Since partnering with Allmade, we’ve printed 82,345 Allmade tees to date, saving:
- 6,287,040 gallons of water
- 59,288 kilograms of CO2
- 18,157 pounds of recycled plastic
What are some other ways Superior Ink Printing is making efforts to become more sustainable?
- In 2017 we became certified with Certifiably Green Denver.
- In the past 12 months, we have recycled 33,072 pounds of recycled material.
- We have replaced our fluorescent light bulbs with LED light bulbs.
- Since installing our drinking fountains, we have eliminated the use of 2,893 disposable plastic bottles.
- We have started recycling our screen printing ink to a local art center here in Denver, CO.
Our mission is to continue pushing the envelope with sustainability, by taking a stance and implementing more sustainable practices. Sustainability is not just an idea for us, it is a way of life and where we’ve found purpose. We choose to be sustainable because we want to better our environment, save the planet, and make our current collapsing industry thrive in a responsible fresh greenway. Our goal is not to compete, but to set an example for others in the textile industry by making sustainable conscious choices.
A friendly reminder from Superior Ink Printing: Clothes do not change the world, the people who wear them do!